With limitless flavor profiles (Tex Mex, traditional, Baja California, Mediterranean, southwest), cooking techniques (grill, fry, bake, broil, saute) and types of fish (Cod, Salmon, Tilapia, Perch, Ahi), fish tacos can truly be your own unique creation every time. Here are 5 quick tips to make sure your fish tacos are mucho delicioso (translation: VERY DELICIOUS!)
1) If you know you are a sauce-y or salsa-y person line your tortilla with lettuce. It will act as a barrier and insure that your tortilla will not get soggy. Romaine or butter lettuce are great options or a thick layer of shredded red cabbage.
2) Be a tortilla snob! Either try making your own tortillas or if you don’t have that sort of time choose an artisan style of tortilla. The tortilla is important as it is the fish’s delicious vessel.
3) If you’re entertaining consider keeping the tacos un-assembled so that your guest can prepare them to their desire. Whether they want to kick up the heat or have a food allergy or sensitivity they are catering to.
4) Not sure how much fish to prepare? A good rule of thumb is 2 ounces per taco!
5) Garnish! Make sure to pick up limes, radishes, microgreens, cilantro, and peppers to jazz up your tacos.
Photo Credit: Aran Goyoaga’s food blog http://www.cannellevanille.com/
Check put her new book: Small Plates & Sweet Treats